Friday, March 9, 2012

Easy To Lower Price Of Gas, Pat Robertson Advocates Legalizing Marijuana

“I thought the election was gonna be all about the economy. But the economy started doing better. So Republicans went to plan b: calling women whores.” – Bill Maher
“According to exit polls, Mitt Romney is struggling with voters who call themselves very conservative. However, Mitt is doing great with voters who describe themselves as being 'totally freaked out by Rick Santorum.'” – Conan O’Brien
“Gas prices — it is $6 a gallon here. People in L.A. are furious. You can't tell, of course, because of the Botox.” ” – Craig Ferguson


If Americans were really serious about wanting to lower the price of gasoline, they could do it overnight, as could the President, by presidential order. No, we don't have to nationalize the gas companies, though that's not a bad idea, it would turn the conservative led debates away from healthcare and contraception... To lower prices by $2 per gallon or more, all we have to do is outlaw commodity trading futures. It would also bring down the prices of food, and just about all other goods that are traded, and who's prices are bet on in advance. Yep, it comes down to the evils of Wall Street once again, but will the tea party folks have enough courage to tackle this subject or are they content mimicking the talking points issued by the GOP planning committees? So far, they remind me of a short story title by C.M. Kornbluth: The Mindless Marching Morons...

My apologies to the Kinks:

I've been waiting for years to buy a brand new cadillac
But now that I've got one I want to send it right back
I can't afford the gas to fill my luxury limousine
But even if I had the dough no one's got no gasoline


I went to my local dealer to see if he could set me straight
He said there's a little gas going but I'd have to wait
But he offered some red hot speed and some really high grade hash
But a gallon of gas can't be purchased anywhere for any amount of cash


I can score you some coke and some grade one grass
But I can't get a gallon of gas
I've got some downers some speed all the drugs that you need
But I can't get a gallon of gas
There's no more left to buy or sell
There's no more oil left in the well
A gallon of gas can't be purchased anywhere
For any amount of cash


bat out of heck...
Meatloaf has been having a hard time getting acting gigs on reality shows after stooging for Donald Trump on the Celebrity Apprentice. Mr Loaf, as the NY times once referred to him, complained to Esquire that:
“I've been banned from two TV shows,” the musician said. “Because USA Today has me listed as a Republican. I've heard those stories,” he added “But I didn't really believe they'd do that.”


Though he’s often described as conservative and said he wanted New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for president last year, Meat Loaf says his politics are just plain complicated.


“I'm neither right nor left, and I'm not sure I'm even in the middle,” he said. “I have a lot of views to the left, and I have a lot of views to the right, and that really doesn't put me in the middle. I don't know what that makes me. It makes me weird.” No, Mr Loaf, it makes you a normal aging American male. Only a fool would get all of their political beliefs off of some website... Of course, music and show business is similar to politics in shat the individual is sheltered from living real life and contacting regular people on a regular basis, but since he's been out of the spotlight for so many years, Mr Loaf should have been able to re-acclimate to normal life, or at least his kid must have... Trying to consciously live like a rock star will make you weird and emotionally unstable. Being outrageous and partying all of the time is fun when you are young, but pathetic when you attempt it as an old man, not even Keith Richards could keep it up..


One of my favorite stories comes from Ed Sander's autobiography, Tales of Beatnick Glory, about running a community center of sorts, called the Psychedelicatessan. It was a short blurb about a man who regularly took too much LSD and came in claiming tht he was Jesus: "Over at the Psychedelicatessen they kept a chalk board with a running tally of customers who had come in announcing they were Jesus. It was up to sixty-five. This guy was one of them... at the time we all felt sorry for J - so lost, so eery, so utterly insane, except that now, going on to forty years later, he owns his own Bible college in the South, and his revivals on cable TV pull in hundreds of millions of dollars each year."

I always wanted to match the face to the story, and yesterday came another clue: that evangelist Pat Robertson now has embraced the idea of legalizing marijuana:
“I really believe we should treat marijuana the way we treat beverage alcohol. I’ve never used marijuana and I don’t intend to, but it’s just one of those things that I think: this war on drugs just hasn’t succeeded.” 
“I believe in working with the hearts of people, and not locking them up.”
 So far there has been a deafening silence from other evangelical groups, and a stock statement issued from Focus on the Family, one of the more influential groups based in my hometown of Colorado Springs. Now, I'm not saying that the reason Mr Robertson found his calling in Christ came from being a stoned out acid-head, but it depends if you believe there are no coincidences in life... or not. Mr Robertson is now 81 years old, and doesn't really care what others say about him any more. Then, he is talking about our prisons being filled with younger people for possessing as little as one joint, all non-violent crimes. If you are a true conservative and want to see less government, you would want less intervention in how we live our lives, and less prisons and inmates, especially if marijuana becomes legalized in Colorado and Washington... So, true conservatives believe the same as Ron Paul Libertarians, that the war on drugs is a failure and marijuana should be legalized. For Mexico's sake, if nowhere else...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting. I always try to respond...